Production Reds are a brown egg cross or non-standard breed that was developed for the purpose of efficient production of large brown eggs with crosses utilizing Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshire Reds. They are a friendly, great layer, but are heavy enough to be good meat birds. Babies are a light brown. The breed ranges in color from light red to a dark brown red when mature. The typical weight for females is 4 lbs. and males is 5 lbs.
Safe Handling Instructions:
It is important to care for and love your new poultry, but you must also protect yourself. Salmonella, a common cause of food borne illness, can be spread by direct contact with animals that carry the bacteria.
Some Safe Handling Tips are:
- Avoid contact with poultry manure. Adults should clean cages frequently.
- Carefully and thoroughly wash hands with soap and warm water after handing anything in the chicks environment.
- Do NOT nuzzle or kiss your chicks, ducklings, turkeys, etc.
- Keep poultry outside, and especially out of areas where food is prepared.
- Supervise children when handling poultry, and ensure they wash their hands after contact. Children under 5 years of age and people with weakened immune systems should not handle poultry.